slide1
 

Ames Public Library Addition and Renovation

The historic Ames Public Library is located at 515 Douglas Avenue in downtown Ames.  In January 2012 CGA was selected by the lead architect, MS&R, to complete topographic survey, boundary survey, Civil/Site Design, and replatting on the original library site.  CGA led the design team through the City of Ames' Minor Site Plan Approval Process and worked with the city departments, planning and zoning, and council to vacate a portion of an alley, recreate a new alley, and combine multiple parcels into one to accomodate the library expansion.  CGA also created easements and assisted with the drafting of Agreements between the Ames Public Library and the United Methodist Church, located next door.

The original 1904 building as well as the 1907 and 1940 additions were salvaged and the remainder of the building and site improvements were demolished as part of the project.  The alley was re-aligned to accomodate a new bookmobile garage and bus turning movements as well as re-graded to improve drainage in the area.  CGA set the vertical alignment on the alley as well as the finished floor of the bookmobile garage and the new street level main entrance.  Site improvements included new city sidewalk, plaza entry, planter beds, bike storage, site lighting, water service, sanitary sewer service, storm sewer, underground storm water storage, book drop-off, relocation of public utilities, coordination of electrical vault, and alley vertical and horizontal alignment.

Construction began in January 2013 and they had their grand opening September 14, 2014.

Ames Public Library Addition and Renovation

Ames Public Library Addition and Renovation

 

 

Project Summary

  • Estimated Site Costs: $500,000
  • Completion: September 2014