Attention Hawkeye Community College and DMACC students that are enrolled in the CET program!
It is time to apply for our annual scholarship!
CGA is committed to the development of the Civil and Construction Engineering Technology Industry. We understand the high cost of education and want to help defray this cost by offering a scholarship program. As part of this program, CGA offers employment throughout your college experience and upon graduation.
CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY:
- Student must be enrolled in the Civil Engineering Technology (CET) Program at Hawkeye Community College or Des Moines Area Community College.
- Student shall have completed the program requirements of a first-year student as of November 1st, 2022.
- Selection of scholarship recipients will be made by the CGA Board. The awards will be based on the applicant’s demonstrated academic achievement, the number of DOT certifications, other achievements and activities, and references.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified after November 22nd, 2022, and invited to attend the CGA Annual Staff Meeting in December.
Scholarship applications can be downloaded here.
Eligible applicants should submit the CGA Scholarship Program Application, two (2) letters of reference, and an essay up to 500 words outlining career goals, objectives, and insight as to why an applicant might consider employment as a Civil Engineer Technician and/or other related fields such as survey, construction or engineering. Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 1st, 2022.
Scholarship Program FAQ’s
Who is eligible to apply for the scholarship?
The student must be enrolled in the Civil Engineering Technology (CET) Program at Hawkeye Community College or Des Moines Area Community College and have completed the program requirements of the first year CET curriculum as of November 1, 2022.
What is the deadline to apply for the scholarship?
November 1, 2022.
How much money could I receive?
Up to $3,000 per semester, and up to a maximum of $6,000 in the final two semesters of the program.
How do I apply for the scholarship?
Download an application from the CGA website here: https://www.cgaconsultants.com/scholarship-program/. Completed applications and essays can be returned via email to email@example.com by November 1, 2022.
How will I know if CGA has received my application and supporting documents?
Our office will email you when we have received your complete application. If our office receives an incomplete application prior to November 1, 2022 deadline, we will return it to you indicating what is required to complete the application. The resubmitted application must be received by November 1, 2022. to be considered. If you have not received notification, you can email Beth Kirkevold at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about your application.
What are my chances of receiving a scholarship?
Three primary factors affecting your chance of receiving the scholarship:
- CGA’s hiring needs for a Civil Engineering Technician
- The total number of scholarship applicants
- The score you receive in the review process
Each application will be reviewed and scored by CGA’s Board of Directors. Items taken into consideration are the applicant’s demonstrated academic achievement, the number of DOT certifications and other pertinent certifications, other achievements and activities, and references.
When will I be notified if I will be awarded the scholarship?
The Notice of Scholarship Award will be sent after November 22, 2022.
Are there any conditions I must meet before receiving the scholarship funds?
Yes. After you receive the Notice of Scholarship Award, you must:
- Agree to work during mutually agreed days and times during school break – after the scholarship is awarded and if CGA requests this arrangement.
- Agree upon graduation or not more than thirty (30) days thereafter, to accept employment at our Ackley or Marshalltown offices based upon an offer of employment.
- Agree to sign a Repayment Agreement. Repayment of scholarship monies will be required if you
- withdraw from school before receiving your CET degree
- decline a CGA offer of employment, for any reason
- resign within three (3) years of continuous service after your date of hire at CGA. In such a case, you will repay CGA on a pro-rata basis for the amount of scholarship received.
What would be the terms of the Scholarship Repayment Agreement?
You will repay CGA an amount according to the following schedule if you do not fulfill the requirements of the Agreement:
- Less than one (1) year after the date of hire, you will repay CGA one hundred percent (100%) of the scholarship awarded by CGA
- More than one (1) year but less than (2) years after the date of hire, you will repay CGA sixty-six percent (66%) of the scholarship awarded by CGA.
- More than two (2) years but less than three (3) years after the date of hire, you will repay CGA thirty-three (33%) of the scholarship awarded by CGA.
- If you resign or are terminated more than three (3) years after the date of hire, you will not be required to pay any part of the scholarship awarded by CGA.
When do I receive the scholarship funds?
Once CGA receives the signed Repayment Agreement, the scholarship will be disbursed to the student’s account at their college prior to the end of the semester of the scholarship award.
Can I set up a time(s) to visit the CGA offices and meet with CGA employees before I apply for the scholarship or before I accept the scholarship award and sign the Repayment Agreement?
Yes. Please contact Beth Kirkevold via email at email@example.com or call her at 319-266-0258 to schedule the visit and/or meeting.
Are there restrictions on how I spend the scholarship funds?
The Scholarship will be awarded and applied first to outstanding/pending tuition, registration, and any other required fees. Any remaining amount can be used for living expenses.